Welcome to year 4’s class page!
Here at St. Joseph’s we aim to ‘have life and have it to the full’ in all areas of life at school.
We have a very busy year ahead of us. Year Four is going to be filled with hard work and lots of high expectations, however this will also be a very exciting year for us at St. Joseph's with lot’s to look forward to and enjoy.
We will be filling this page with our class news, pictures of all our learning fun, things to come later in the year and so much more. Do you have any wonderful ideas for this page? Why not let me know and we’ll keep adding our ideas.
We’ve had a BRILLIANT start to the year.
We’ve already been working hard on many exciting topics and developing our skills and knowledge through interesting activities. Take a look through our photographs to see our learning journey so far.
· We have been reading a variety of Fairy Tales. Our favourite texts have been the ‘Twisted Tales’ such as Shrek and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. We have really enjoyed learning about the features of classic stories and then twisting them to make modern versions told from a different perspective.
· We’ve been working EXTREMLY HARD in our math’s lessons, for there have been loads of new things to learn and plenty of work to recap! This term we are studying numbers and the number system. We have been using increasingly large numbers, practising our partitioning skills, ordering numbers, working with negatives and we’ve even been cracking codes using Roman Numerals!
Religious Education –
· This term we have been looking at ‘FAMILY’. We have studied our own family trees as well as Jesus’ human family. We have also been learning about significant figures from the Bible, including Saint Francis of Assisi, Ruth and Abraham. We have really enjoyed this topic and have a new appreciation for the people around us and their importance in our lives.
The Wider Curriculum –
· History - Our topic this term has been the THE ROMANS. We have learned EVERYTHING about them: Who they were, where they came from, how they lived and even their religious beliefs!
Autumn Half Term
After having a VERY good half term it is time for a much needed break! Thank you for all of your hard work over the last few weeks, you have started the year REALLY WELL! Have a lovely week off, and I will see you all back refreshed and ready to learn just in time for a spoooooky Halloween on Tuesday 30th October.
It’s been a crazy couple of weeks back at school after the half term break and it isn’t going to calm down! This is going to be an EXTREMLEY busy time at St. Josephs, but it will also be one packed with fun as the countdown to CHRISTMAS begins!
· We have been reading ‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’ in literacy. This is an exciting story by C.S.LEWIS about four children finding a magical world in the back of a wardrobe! We’ve had great fun whilst studying this book, we’ve been creating non-chronological reports about lions, using descriptive language and even imagined ourselves going through a door into our own magical world.
· We’ve been working well in our math’s lessons, for there have been lots of new things to learn and even things we already know to practice! This half term we have been focusing on using our number skills.
Religious Education –
· This term we entered Advent, a VERY important time for the church! We studied the symbolism of the Advent Wreath, wrote Advent prayers/hopes and even created our own Christingles for our school Christingle service! Towards the end of this topic we studied the beginning of Matthew’s Gospel, researching how Jesus belonged to the family of King David. We recorded our findings on a Jesse Tree, using symbols to represent the descendants. We really enjoyed doing this for it was incredibly interesting and proved to be a fun way of recapping many stories from the Bible that we have learnt about in previous R.E lessons! We also performed the last assembly of the year, teaching all that we had learned about the gift of Jesus to the rest of the school!
The Wider Curriculum –
· Our topic this term has been WATER. We have learned a lot about this important factor of life on Earth. We have studied both the natural water cycle and human water cycle, we know how and why we should save water, and can explain the three states of matter.
· In Art/DT we’ve been preparing for Christmas. We really enjoyed decorating plates for Father Christmas and Rudolf, creating Elfie Selfie decorations and making Christmas cards.
Children in Need
Today the Children at St. Josephs celebrated and helped raise money for CHILDREN IN NEED! In year 4 we had Pudsey themed activities all day! We dressed in our ‘own clothes’, and were visited by Austin in his ice cream van! We would like to thank Austin for his generosity; EVERY PENNY has gone to Children in Need!
Here are some pictures of our FUNdraising day:
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
The countdown to Christmas has been VERY EXCITING! The whole school has been a BUZZ of Christmas activities. We’ve had Christmas jumper day AND a pantomime AND a disco AND even a HUGE Christmas dinner!
Take a look at our Festive Fun in the pictures below.
We’ve all had such a fun time this term and every single one of us (INCLUDING THE GROWN UPS AROUND SCHOOL) are exhausted and ready for a well-earned break. Enjoy your time off over Christmas with loved ones. I hope you get some lovely presents off Father Christmas and have a Wonderful New Year!
See you all back in school on the 7th January 2019!