APPOINTMENT OF PARENT GOVERNOR
As one of our parent governors term of office comes to an end in December 2019 the governing board of St Joseph’s school is required to initiate an election process.
The role of the governing board
The school’s governing board is responsible for providing confident and strategic leadership, and creating robust accountability, oversight and assurance for the school’s educational and financial performance. The governing board of St Joseph’s Primary school is committed to continuous school improvement to ensure the best possible outcomes for our pupils.
The role of a parent governor
As a parent governor, you’ll work with the board to ensure it effectively carries out the duties referred to above. You’ll also play a vital role in ensuring that the board is connected with, and is aware of the views of, parents and the local community.
To be a parent governor you must be the parent or carer of a child at St Joseph’s school and you should have:
• A strong commitment to the role and to improving outcomes for children
• Good inter-personal skills, curiosity, and a willingness to learn and develop new skills
• The specific skills required to ensure the governing board delivers effective governance
Expectations of governors
• Attendance at Governing Board meetings - the Governing Board meets 4 times a year
• Membership of a sub-group – these meet at least once each term
• Maintaining confidentiality
• Committing to training which is provided by the Diocese and the Local Authority. Online training is also available
• Visiting the school as part of the governing Boards monitoring role
How to apply
If you have any queries about this process or would like to find out more about the role, please contact Mrs L Byrne or Ms A Campbell who will arrange for you to meet with a members of the Governing Board.
If you’re interested in applying for the role, please obtain a candidate form from the school office and return the completed form to the school by 4pm on Monday 27th November 2019. If we receive more applications than there are vacancies, a secret ballot will be carried out. We will inform you closer to the time if we have to do this.