Welcome to Year 1's class page!
Here at St. Joseph's we aim to 'have life and have it to the full', we will be making lots of fun memories this year. This page will be filled with class events and information, exciting activities we are doing in class and around school as well our star of the week children.
Miss Wilson Mrs Kenny
To develop your child's reading skills it is important that they read every day. Please could you sign their Reading Record book whenever they read with you. Children who bring their signed reading records in every day will get a prize half termly.
- Homework books will be given out on a Friday and homework is returned on Thursday.
- PE is on Wednesday and Friday. All children will need black shorts, a red t-shirt and black pumps or trainers. Unfortunately they will be unable to join in if they don't have the correct kit.
- To develop your child's reading skills it is important that they read every day. Please could you sign their Reading Record book whenever they read with you. Children who bring their signed reading records in every day will get a prize half termly.
Phonics Screening Check
The children have been learning phonics in both Nursery and Reception to help them read words. Phonics teaches children to be able to listen carefully and identify the sounds that make up each word. In year 1, all children in the country will take part in a phonics screening check in June. Over the course of the year, they will be learning a lot of new sounds, but these sounds need to be learnt both in the context of real words and nonsense words.The children will be asked to use their phonic knowledge to read 20 real words and 20 nonsense words (alien words). The children will know when a word is a nonsense word as there will be a picture of an alien next to the word - we say this word is the aliens name and this is why it does not make sense to us.
How to help your child at home
- Play lots of sound and listening games
- Encourage children to have a 'good guess'
- Remind children to blend the sounds in the word by pointing to them
- In school the children use the Phonics Play website to help reading real and fake words and play games such as Picnic on Pluto or Buried Treasure